Sunday, March 3, 2024

World Screen

The leading source of information for the international media business.

Placeholder

Jason Manford to Front The Money Pit on Dave

May 27, 2015

LONDON: Comedian and actor Jason Manford is set to host the new series The Money Pit on UKTV's entertainment channel Dave. The series watches as six people risk their own money to invest in ideas and small businesses of aspiring entrepreneurs. Dozens of amateur investors will decide which entrepreneurs, inventors, …

Placeholder

NATPE Europe Adds More Sessions

May 27, 2015

LOS ANGELES: An expanded sessions lineup has been added to next month’s NATPE Europe in Prague, as well as a keynote by showrunner Adrian Hodges. An award-winning writer and creator, Hodges most recently created the BBC series The Musketeers. He will share his experiences and perspective of the global television …

Placeholder

Lagardère Active Acquires Grupo Boomerang TV

May 28, 2015

PARIS: Lagardère Active has picked up an 82 percent stake in the Spanish audiovisual production outfit Grupo Boomerang TV. The remaining 18 percent stake will continue to be held by the founding partners, who will carry on with the day-to-day management of the group. Grupo Boomerang TV was set up …

Placeholder

Russia’s ivi Enhances Personalization of VOD Service

May 28, 2015

MOSCOW: The Russian VOD platform ivi is launching a personalized TV service that is meant to combine traditional television with a recommendation system. The newly launched ivi tv is being touted as a "first-of-its-kind personalized TV service," which is based on and integrated into ivi's VOD platform. The service features …

Placeholder

Three FilmBox Channels Set for Hungary’s DIGI

May 28, 2015

BUDAPEST: SPI International has secured carriage for three FilmBox movie channels on the DIGI platform in Hungary. The FilmBox channel brand will make its debut on June 1 on the DIGI satellite network in Hungary. The premium package, called FilmMix, will include FilmBox, FilmBox Family and FilmBox Plus. "During the …

Placeholder

Enterprises Sonor Picks Up Eberhard Schoener Music Catalogue

May 28, 2015

MAINZ: Enterprises Sonor, a joint venture between ZDF Enterprises and Bavaria Media, is jumping into the music field after acquiring more than 1,000 titles from musician Eberhard Schoener. The rights pickup sets the stage for Sonor to enter the music-production industry. The studio also holds a few other productions by …

Placeholder

UKTV Greenlights First Original Comedies for Gold

May 28, 2015

LONDON: UKTV has commissioned three titles for its classic-comedy channel Gold as part of its push to air more original scripted content on the network. Among the new commissions is Henry IX, a single-camera series set in the fictitious, contemporary court of Henry IX, King of the United Kingdom. Also …

Placeholder

BBC Defends iPlayer Amid Reports of Recent Usage Drops

May 29, 2015

LONDON: While the BBC's latest monthly report reveals that iPlayer figures have fallen for the third consecutive month, Dan Taylor-Watt, the head of BBC iPlayer, is defending the performance in a blog post to "correct some misleading headlines." "There were a number of articles suggesting iPlayer’s popularity is on the …

Placeholder

Prime Entertainment Group Sells Titles into Nordics

May 29, 2015

PARIS/LOS ANGELES: Pay-TV channel C More Entertainment has clinched a package featuring more than 50 hours of content from Prime Entertainment Group, to be aired across the Nordics. The acquired titles are the weekly magazine Hollywood News Feed and the celebrity-bio program Close Up. The former has already been sold …

Placeholder

ITV Buys Poldark Producer Mammoth Screen

June 1, 2015

LONDON: ITV plc has acquired Mammoth Screen, which is behind such hit scripted productions as Poldark. ITV has held a 25 percent equity investment in Mammoth Screen since 2007 and has now acquired the remaining 75 percent of the company. ITV Studios’ distribution arm, ITV Studios Global Entertainment, has an …